Old Pickens Presbyterian Church

Old Pickens Presbyterian Church (sometimes refered to as Old Pickens County Court House Presbyterian Church), built 1849-51, is an excellent intact example of a mid-nineteenth century church built in the meeting house style and constructed of brick rather than the more common frame construction. It is also significant for its association with the mid-nineteenth century town of Pickens Court House (now often called Old Pickens) and as the only extant building surviving from the old town site. Pickens Court House was established in 1828 to serve as the seat for Pickens District, a new judicial district created from Pendleton District. Pickens Court House was never a large town, and only had a little over one hundred inhabitants by 1860, when it boasted the courthouse, several shops and stores, an academy, a newspaper, a hotel, a stable, a school, a jail, a Masonic lodge, and a church—Old Pickens Presbyterian Church, which was the only church ever active in the town and where worship was open to Christians of all denominations. The church is a one-story, rectangular, brick building with a gable roof that has a boxed cornice with returns. The façade has a central double-door with sidelights and transom. A paired window above the door provides light to the interior gallery. The interior of the church is well-preserved and contains walls finished in plaster applied over the brick, original pine flooring, original unpainted pews constructed of poplar and pine, and a gallery supported by large columns. A cemetery containing over 200 marked graves is also located to the rear and sides of the church. Listed in the National Register April 4, 1996.

From Pickens, SC, Hwy183 West to Keowee River, sign directs to gravel entrance on right
Pickens, SC 29671
(864) 944-5112
» Visit Website