Woodburn Historic House
Built as a summer home by Charles Cotseworth Pinckney (1789-1865), Woodburn is a graceful, four-story, clapboard plantation house. The house, built c. 1830 with a wrap-around, two-story piazza, is an excellent example of an early 19th century South Carolina Upcountry plantation house.
While owned by members of the wealthy Adger family of Charleston, the house was expanded to 18 rooms, and the farmland was increased to over 1,000 acres.
The historic site now consists of the house museum furnished with antebellum antiques and family artifacts, situated on 10 acres of the original plantation with a walking trail to the ruins of other farm outbuildings.
Also on site are three outbuildings, a reproduction of the Adger Victorian Carriage house that contains the traveling coach of Thomas Green Clemson; a one-room c.1810 log house built by Robert Moorhead serving as the cookhouse; and a reproduction of a slave/tenant house interpreting the life of Jane Edna Hunter, the African-American activist who founded the Phylis Wheatley Society, who was born in such a house at Woodburn in 1882.
- 130 History Lane
Pendleton, SC 29670
- (864) 646-7249
- » Visit Website